They Fled The Scene In A Car Accident, Now What?

August 25, 2019

Being involved in any accident is a very stressful situation, especially if it is a hit and run. If you are the victim of a hit and run car accident it may seem that it’s a hopeless case, but there are still ways to be financially protected even if you do not have any information about the other driver; (refer to the article we have posted about the different ways you can still be compensated in a hit and run case). Although the other driver has fled the scene, the following steps are ways to handle the situation in the best way possible.

Call For Help

In any accident the first step is to get 911 contacted whether you are severely injured or not. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, it is still important to have an officer file a police report right away to make sure you have proper documentation and further proof of the incident. They may even be able to begin an investigation into possibly being able to catch the person who hit you if they can attain enough information. As always though, your health and well-being should be your top priority. They will advise you to stay at the location of the collision until they arrive, unless it is causing damage to you or others.

Gather Any Possible Information

  • Try to catch a glimpse of the driver’s license plate while they drive away.
  • Color, make, model, or any description of the vehicle and driver that you can recall would be helpful to the police in their investigation.
  • Try to have the exact time and place of the accident because it may be possible to attain camera footage from certain street cameras.
  • Take pictures of yourself and your vehicle for proof of injuries and damage.
  • Gather the contact information from any witnesses near the incident.

Contact Insurance and a Personal Injury Attorney

It is recommended that you contact your insurance as soon as possible to file a claim in a hit and run. The sooner they are aware of the situation the easier it will be to prove your case. However, although it may seem like the insurance company is on your side because you are one of their customers, their goal is still to give you the least amount of compensation possible. So, it will be further beneficial to hire an attorney to represent your personal injury case. An attorney has your best interest in mind and represents your right to proper compensation. When you call an insurance company, they will ask you for every detail of the accident. An attorney can advise you on how to go about your conversation with the adjuster and if you are eligible for compensation based on your insurance policy. Hit and run cases are already difficult and stressful to deal with; the Law Office of Andrew G. Rosenberg is there to ease the burden and make the process as smooth as possible.

Have You Been Injured In A Florida Car Accident?

If you’ve been hurt in a car accident you need to speak with an experienced Florida car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Please contact us online or call our Coral Springs office directly at 954.755.7803 to schedule your free consultation. We proudly serve Florida residents including all of Fort Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Miami-Dade County, Broward County, Palm Beach County and all points in between.

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!